Cisplatin Side Effects
As with other chemotherapy medicines, cisplatin often causes very serious or intolerable side effects. Many of these problems can interfere with the effectiveness of the treatment, as side effects can cause people to not receive their medication on schedule. Potential side effects of cisplatin include vomiting, kidney dysfunction, and hearing loss. Other, less serious reactions include hair loss, weakness, and hiccups.
An Introduction to Cisplatin Side EffectsAs with any medicine, cisplatin can cause side effects. However, unlike most types of medications, chemotherapy medications (including cisplatin) often cause very serious or intolerable side effects. In fact, the side effects of chemotherapy often limit how effective the drugs may be (as side effects often interfere with receiving chemotherapy "on schedule").
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with cisplatin. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Possible Side Effects of CisplatinCisplatin has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the possible side effects were carefully documented. Some of the more serious side effects of cisplatin that were reported include:
- Kidney dysfunction and damage, including acute kidney failure (acute renal failure)
- Hearing loss and/or tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Nausea and vomiting (see Chemotherapy and Nausea)
- Anemia (see Chemotherapy and Anemia)
- Low white blood cells, which increase the risk for infections (see Chemotherapy and Infections)
- Low blood platelets (thrombocytopenia) (see Blood Clotting Problems and Chemotherapy)
- Diarrhea (see Chemotherapy-Induced Diarrhea)
- Low electrolytes in the blood
- Heart and blood vessel problems (such as heart attacks or strokes)
- High levels of uric acid in the blood (hyperuricemia)
- Unusual sensations (such as burning or tingling) in the hands or feet
- Vision changes, such as blurred vision, color-perception changes, or even blindness
- Liver problems, generally seen as increased liver enzymes (found using a blood test).
Some of the less serious side effects included but were not limited to:
- Loss of taste
- Hair loss