Doxil Overdose

People who are given too much Doxil (liposomal doxorubicin) may develop problems such as low blood counts or severe sores in the mouth or digestive tract. It is unlikely (though not impossible) for a person to overdose on this medication, as it is given by a healthcare provider. If an overdose occurs, treatment could involve antibiotics, platelet infusions, or other methods of treating any symptoms that arise.

Can You Take Too Much Doxil?

Doxil® (liposomal doxorubicin) is a prescription chemotherapy medication that is given by IV. As with most medications, it is probably possible to take too much Doxil. The specific effects of an overdose will likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Doxil dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
 

Effects of an Overdose

In the short term, an overdose of Doxil can cause severe mouth sores, low blood platelets, and low white blood cells. In the long term, an overdose might increase the risk of heart problems (such as heart failure) that can sometimes occur with Doxil, since these problems are generally related to the cumulative lifetime dosage of Doxil.
 

Treatment for a Doxil Overdose

The treatment for a Doxil overdose consists largely of treating any symptoms that arise. For instance, platelet infusions may be given to people with dangerously low blood platelets, and antibiotics may be given to people with very low white blood cells, since these people are at a high risk for dangerous infections.
 
Do You Recognize These 13 Celebrity E-Cigarette Smokers?

Doxil Chemotherapy Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2017 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.