If you are taking Hexalen (altretamine) and believe you have overdosed on the drug, seek immediate medical care. Taking too much of this chemotherapy drug may lead to seizures, a coma, or even death. Treating this type of overdose may involve administering activated charcoal, pumping the stomach, and providing supportive care.
Hexalen® (altretamine) is a prescription chemotherapy medication. As with most medications, it is possible to take too much Hexalen.
The specific effects of an overdose would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Hexalen dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
There have not been any reports of an overdose with this medication. Therefore, it is not entirely clear what to expect if too much Hexalen is taken. Based on the known side effects of the medication, however, possible symptoms of an overdose may include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Low number of white blood cells, which could cause infections
- Low red blood cells (anemia)
- Low platelets, which could cause bruising and bleeding
If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of Hexalen absorbed into the bloodstream. Dialysis is not expected to be useful for removing this medication from the body.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment for a Hexalen overdose may include:
- Medications, such as metoclopramide (Reglan®), to treat nausea and vomiting
- Benzodiazepines, such as diazepam (Valium®) or diazepam rectal gel (Diastat®), if seizures occur
- Fluids through an injection into a vein (an intravenous, or IV, injection).
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else has overdosed on this medication.