Ovarian Cancer Home > Ovarian Cancer Questions
If you've been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, questions may occur to you regarding your treatment options, prognosis, followup care, and more. It helps to write down any questions you have before your appointment. You may also want a friend or family member to come with you. By asking ovarian cancer questions, you are taking an active role as a member of your healthcare team.
Asking your doctor ovarian cancer questions will help you further understand your condition. To help you remember what the doctor says, you may take notes or ask whether you can use a tape recorder. Some people may also want to have a family member or friend with them when they talk to their doctor -- to take part in the discussion, to take notes, or just to listen.
Questions to ask your doctor if you have recently been diagnosed with ovarian cancer include:
- What tests can diagnose ovarian cancer?
- Are they painful? Do they carry any other risks to my health?
- How soon after the tests will I learn the results?
- What type of ovarian cancer do I have?
Questions to ask your doctor before beginning ovarian cancer treatment include:
- What treatments are recommended for me?
- What clinical trials are appropriate for my type of cancer?
- Will I need to be in the hospital to receive my treatment? For how long?
- How might my normal activities change during my treatment?
Questions to ask your doctor about the side effects of treatment for ovarian cancer include:
- What side effects should I expect?
- How long will they last?
- Whom should I call if I am concerned about a side effect?