Ovarian Cancer Home > Ovarian Germ Cell Cancer
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options for ovarian germ cell cancer will depend on:
- The type of cancer
- The size of the tumor
- The way the cancer cells look under a microscope
- The patient's general health
- The stage of cancer (whether it affects part of the ovary, involves the whole ovary, or has spread to other places in the body).
Ovarian germ cell cancer is generally curable if found and treated early.
Key points to keep in mind regarding ovarian germ cell cancer include:
- Ovarian germ cell cancer is a disease in which malignant (cancerous) cells form in the germ (egg) cells of the ovary
- Possible signs of ovarian germ cell cancer are swelling of the abdomen or vaginal bleeding after menopause
- Tests that examine the ovaries, pelvic area, blood, and ovarian tissue are used to detect this type of cancer
- Certain factors affect the prognosis and treatment options for ovarian germ cell cancer.