Important Information for Your Healthcare ProviderTalk with your healthcare provider prior to taking this medication if you have:
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Liver disease, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure
- Low levels of white blood cells
- Low levels of platelets
- Had radiation treatment or previous chemotherapy
- Plans to receive a vaccination
- Lung disease
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Alkeran and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Alkeran and Breastfeeding).
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Precautions and Warnings With Melphalan to learn more, including information on who should not use the drug.)