Side Effects of Topotecan
Common Side EffectsTopotecan has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the possible side effects were carefully documented.
Some of the more common side effects of topotecan included:
- Anemia -- in up to 98 percent of people (see Chemotherapy and Anemia)
- Low levels of the neutrophil type of white blood cells (neutropenia) -- up to 97 percent (see Chemotherapy and Infections)
- Low white blood cells (leukopenia) -- up to 97 percent
- Low blood platelets (thrombocytopenia) -- up to 81 percent (see Blood Clotting Problems and Chemotherapy)
- Nausea -- up to 64 percent (see Chemotherapy and Nausea)
- Hair loss -- up to 49 percent (see Chemotherapy and Hair Loss)
- Vomiting -- up to 45 percent
- Fever or other signs of an infection -- up to 47 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 32 percent (see Chemotherapy-Induced Diarrhea).
Other common side effects (occurring in 15 to 29 percent of people) included:
- Shortness of breath
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- General weakness
- Loss of appetite
- Mouth sores
It should be noted that, as with most chemotherapy medications, many of the common side effects are also serious side effects.