An Introduction to Side Effects of Topotecan
As with any medicine, topotecan
) can cause side effects. However, unlike most types of medications, chemotherapy drugs (including topotecan) often cause very serious or intolerable side effects. In fact, the side effects of chemotherapy
often limit the effectiveness of the drugs (as side effects often interfere with receiving chemotherapy "on schedule").
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with topotecan. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Topotecan Side Effects to Report
There are a number of possible side effects with topotecan that you should report to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Severe nausea or vomiting
- Any diarrhea, even if mild
- Burning or stinging during the IV infusion (as this may be a sign that the medication is leaking from your vein, which can be dangerous)
- Signs of an infection, such as fever or chills (see Chemotherapy and Infections)
- Severe mouth sores (see Mouth and Gum Problems During Chemotherapy)
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Signs of interstitial lung disease (ILD), such as:
- Shortness of breath.