General Information on Using TopotecanSome considerations for people taking topotecan include the following:
- Topotecan comes in both injectable and oral capsule form.
- Topotecan capsules are taken by mouth, usually once daily for five days, every 21 days (for a certain number of cycles). They can be taken with or without food.
- Do not crush or open topotecan capsules. Do not handle capsules that are damaged in any way.
- If you vomit a dose of topotecan capsules, you should not "make up" the dose by taking extra, although you should let your healthcare provider know.
- Topotecan IV is given via an IV infusion (also known as an "IV drip"), typically once daily (for 30 minutes) for three to five days every 21 days (for a certain number of cycles).
- Let your healthcare provider know immediately if you feel any burning or stinging while receiving the IV infusion, as this may be a sign that the medication is leaking outside the vein (a situation which can be quite serious).
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Chemotherapy works best when it is taken "on schedule," although, in many cases, the side effects that occur limit a person's ability to stay on schedule with the full dose.
- If you are unsure about anything related to topotecan dosing, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.